Providing quality education to students in physiology and biochemistry
The Department of Basic Sciences is dedicated to providing quality education to students in physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, genetics and breeding, animal behavior, nutritional diseases, animal husbandry, poultry management, scientific debates, medical terminology, English language, computer and the internet, and Kurdology. The Department of Basic Sciences is also actively engaged in research and publication. The excellent arrangement and teaching quality of the best kind ensure class education, such as interaction among students, ensuring a bright future for our students and enhancing their career prospects.
Our vision is to maintain a leading role in veterinary medical professional education and innovative research and to provide a solid foundation for the basic veterinary sciences. We provide excellent academic programs in basic veterinary medicine and science and engage in high-quality research and developmental activities through interdisciplinary teamwork since we will be the destination for teaching, novelty, care, and service.
Our mission is to provide quality education to veterinary students in the fields of pharmacology, physiology, and biochemistry, develop lifelong learning and social skills necessary for subsequent years of the BVM&S study program, and graduate as competent and socially responsible professionals.
Learning Outcomes at Department:
- The students can describe the components, overall structure, and functions of important physiological systems, including the cardiorespiratory, renal, reproductive, and metabolic systems.
- They will understand how these separate systems interact to yield integrated physiological responses to challenges such as exercise, fasting, and ascent to high altitudes, and how they can sometimes fail. In addition, they will be able to recognize and identify principal tissue structures.
- The students will be able to demonstrate complexometric and non-aqueous titration that helps them perform practical expressions of various concentrations and preparations. Moreover, the course will develop different analytical skills and help students understand chemical compounds’ qualitative and quantitative estimations.
- The course will impart basic knowledge in pharmaceutics, prescription components, and posology. In addition, the course will give the basic knowledge of dose calculations according to age, sex, and body weight.
- Provide knowledge of different routes of drug administration and classification of pharmaceutical dosage forms and describe the various dosage forms, such as monophasic, biphasic, powder, and suppositories, and their evaluations.
- Students will learn about chemistry and the biological importance of biological macromolecules and understand fundamental biochemistry principles, including major metabolism pathways, biosynthesis, replication, transcription, and translation.
- Graduates will understand the concept of enzymology and explain the metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, and amino acids and their roles in the body.
Department Study Methods:
Study methods depend on theoretical and practical lectures; assessment is achieved via mid-term and final exams, essays, and reports.
Language used in department:
The language of study in the department is English for all courses.
Duration of Studies:
The college study duration is five academic years of full-time study.
Dr. Salam Haji Ibrahim
Dr. Rebin Kanabi Majeed
Dr. Dyary Hiewa Othman
Dr. Nadia Abdulkarim Salih
Dr. Dereen Omer Muhammed Ramzi
Dr. Sadat Abdulla Aziz
Dr. Hawsar Othman Mohammed
Dr. Harseen Mahmud Rahim
Dr. Nawroz Akram Kakarash